Journal Entry #8

Patterning Match-up Cards
This was perhaps the best activity of the day since it combined everything from the curriculum of the day: number, shape and color. As soon as I took the match-up cards out of the box (again so graciously loaned to me by Mrs. LaMontagne), the students knew exactly what to do with them even though I had not yet explained what we were going to do with them. They started putting the piece together and collecting the finished product. Akihiko (7 years old) only put together one and as expected the older students put together more. I then went around and asked each student to tell me what one of their finished examples had on it. What I thought would be rather simple for them turned out to be rather difficult. “One green circle, two yellow squares…” I would have them read each card and if they hesitated or told me the wrong color, number or shape, I went on to the next student. They began practicing. When I reached Akihiko for the second time, he was able to tell me what was on his card and since the hour was up I told him he was free to go. After this, a frenzy of panic spread as each student wanted to tell me what was on all of his or her card and thus be free to go. This activity proved important because I could tell that after a few tries, the students realized they did not have to “read” each shape. Each card had a specific pattern and they could finish telling me what was on their card faster by remembering the pattern on their card.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home